GAME RECAP/ COMPETITION DATE #1
Home vs. the Haslett Vikings; Tuesday, 29 March 2016 @ the Hope Soccer Complex; 6:30
[STARTERS: Larissa, Camille, Kate, Caroline, Kyra; Olivia, Claire, Keighen, Abigail G.; Shannon, Isabelle]
|13||SHOTS ON TARGET||3|
|[Cami Harp] 1||YELLOW CARDS||1 [Kyra Wieber]|
|SAVES||11 [Larisa Herdus]
1 [Kyra Wieber]
1 [Kate Burns]
Game Notes: Half-time Score = 0 – 0
- Abigail Gilmore throws a birthday party at the Hope Soccer Complex; gets best gift from Isabelle Poupard! (Late game-winning goal: Isabelle / Assist: Abigail Gilmore)
- Rachel Foy successfully returns to game action after ACL injury a year ago…hooray!
- First-year players make solid contributions: Isabelle, Caroline, Camille, Caitie, Cara all prove they belonged on the Birthday Party invitation list…other 19ers waiting in the wings.
- Brand-new back line begins to work as a unit; no drop-off when reserves come in; Kate and Caroline neutralize very dangerous Haslett players (Campbell sisters, Casaday, Richardson) by stepping up to challenge and dropping back to cover as a tandem
- Seventeen players see action against a very talented and physically strong Viking squad who steamrolled the Cougars in the 2015 season
- Coach Pettit demands focus and commitment from outside mids at half-time, asking them to help Olivia get the defensive response organized whenever we lose the ball, asking them to get wide and down-field whenever we win the ball…players respond with excellent 2nd half performances…..and Larisa makes an unbelievable late save to help keep shut-out intact!
- Things to work on: Game Management in waning minutes with a lead; dealing with diagonal runs coming in from the weak / blind side; using speed, smarts, leverage against bigger, stronger opponents; shrugging off odd or inconsistent officiating; goal kicks; talking.